Woman electrocuted in Surat after farmers connect barbed wire fence to power line

A 45-year-old farm worker was electrocuted after she touched an electrical wire coiled with barbed wire across a farm field to protect standing crop of pigs in Surat, Gujarat state. The police registered a complaint against the owners of agricultural fields and launched an investigation.

Police sources said farmers Daniel Naika and his brother Dharmesh Naika have installed barbed wire across a sugarcane crop in Phalanpur village of Mahova Taluk in Surat. The farmer also attached an electric line to it, one end of which touches the overhead high-tension power line that runs through the fields.

On Friday morning, when Rahabin Naika, their relative, went to the field to cut grass for her livestock, her left hand accidentally touched an electrical wire, causing her to be instantly electrocuted, the sources said. She died of severe burns on the spot. Rekha’s husband Bharatbhai Naika later found her body lying on the ground and reported it to the villagers and the police.

Mahova police arrived at the scene and sent the body to the local primary health center for an autopsy. Bharatbhai filed a complaint against Daniel and Dharmesh, and the police recorded a crime under Iraqi Penal Code No. 304 (intentional killing does not amount to murder) and 144 (armed with a deadly weapon).

BB Bardhan, Assistant Inspector of Mahova Police, said, “Generally speaking, there are incidents reported from different villages where large numbers of pigs have entered their agricultural fields and damaged the fixed crop. Farmers cover their fields with barbed wire. This is the first incident of electric power running through it. Using a high tension line. We have removed the electrical wire. We have also written to DGVCL (Dakshin Gujarat Vij Company Ltd) to take action against them. Both defendants in this case have disappeared and we are looking for them. Rakhbin died of electrocution.”

Leave a Comment