US judge dismisses Cristiano Ronaldo rape lawsuit in Vegas

A Nevada woman has lost her bid in a US court to force soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo to pay millions of dollars more than the $375,000 in hush money she received after alleging he raped her in Las Vegas in 2009.

U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey in Las Vegas threw the case out of court on Friday to punish the woman’s attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, for “bad faith” and the use of “counterfeit” classified documents that the judge said tainted the case beyond redemption.

🚨 Limited time offer | Express Premium with Ad-Lite for just Rs 2 per day Click here to subscribe 🚨

Dorsey said in her 42-page order that dismissing the case without the option to file it again was a severe punishment, but said Ronaldo had been hurt by Stovall’s behavior.

The best of Express Premium
Sethurama Iyer's legacy and where the CBI franchise should have endedexcellent
Haryana Rajya Sabha cliffhanger: Bishnoi and Kiran, Hooda critics who…excellent
news maker |  Kartikeya Sharma: Media Baron and Son of a Veteran Politician...excellent
Gather Network wants to disrupt the advertising-led business model of websites;  he is...excellent

“I find it bad faith to purchase and continue to use these documents, and simply dismissing Stovall will not remedy the unfairness of Ronaldo because the embezzled documents and their secret contents have been woven into the fabric of (Plaintiff Catherine) Mayorga’s allegations,” the referee said. “Cruel punishments deserve.”

Stovall did not immediately respond Saturday to phone messages and emails. Larissa Drohobiczer’s text messages have not been answered. They can appeal the decision to the Ninth US Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

Ronaldo’s attorney in Las Vegas, Peter Christiansen, was traveling and could not be immediately reached for comment.

The Associated Press does not generally name people who say they are victims of sexual assault, but Mayorga, through Stovall and Drohobyczer, agreed to release her name.

Leave a Comment