Texas shooting: Cops took 45 minutes to confront gunman, kids kept calling 911 | World News

During this week’s attack on a Texas elementary school, about 20 officers stood in the hallway outside the classroom for more than 45 minutes before agents used the master key to open the door and confront the gunman, officials said Friday.

Steven McCrack, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said the gunman, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, was blocked in a classroom at Rob Elementary School in Uvalde during the Tuesday attack and that the on-site commander believed there was no danger to children. A news conference.

“They were convinced at the time that there was no greater threat to children and that the subject was barricaded and that they had time to organize,” McCrae said.

“It’s definitely not the right decision. It’s the wrong decision,” he said.

McCrae said US Border Patrol agents eventually used the master key to open a locked door where they killed Ramos, who killed 19 students and two teachers.

Shortly after Ramos entered the classroom, a bullet broke out, where he killed Ramos but the shots were “sporadic” for 48 minutes as officers waited outside the aisle, McCrae said. Investigators don’t know how many children died or how many children died in those 48 minutes, he said.

Throughout the attack, teachers and children repeatedly called 911, including one girl: “Please send police now,” McCracker said.

Questions have been raised about the time it took officers to enter the school to confront the gunman.

At 11:28 am on Tuesday morning, Ramos’ Ford pickup crashed into the ditch behind an inferior Texas school, and the driver jumped carrying an AR-15-style rifle.

Twelve minutes later, authorities say, 18-year-old Ramos Robb entered the elementary school hall and found his way to a fourth-grade classroom, where he killed 19 students and two teachers in an as yet unexplained spasm of violence.

But until 12:58 pm, law enforcement radio chat said Ramos was killed and the siege was over.

What happened in those 90 minutes, in a working-class neighborhood on the edge of the town of Uvalde, has sparked public outrage and scrutiny over law enforcement’s response to Tuesday’s rampage.

“They say they were rushed,” said Javier Cajares, whose fourth-grade daughter, Jaclyn Cazares, was killed in the attack and fled the school as the massacre unfolded. “We haven’t seen it.”

Friday’s update on the timeline of the attack comes only after officials refused to explain why officers were unable to stop the shooter so quickly, according to Texas Public Safety Division Regional Director Victor Escalon. For consideration, ”but he was not willing to answer them.

A Thursday briefing called by Texas security officials to clarify the timeline of the attack provided bits of previously unknown information. But by the end of it, it added disturbing questions surrounding the attack, including the time it took for the police to reach the scene and confront the gunman and failing to lock the school door he entered.

After two days of frequent conflicting information, investigators found Ramos was not a school district police officer when Ramos arrived, and contrary to his earlier reports, the officer did not confront Ramos outside the building.

Instead, they paint a significant timeline for delays that cannot be explained by law enforcement.

After crashing his truck, Ramos opened fire on the two men who were leaving the funeral home nearby, Escalan said. He then entered the school “uninterrupted” through the door that was clearly open at 11:40 am.

But the first police officers did not arrive at the scene 12 minutes after the crash and four minutes later did not enter the school to pursue the shooter. Inside, he was driven from Ramos by gunfire and escaped, Escalon said.

The gunman was still inside by 12:10 pm when the first US Marshals Service representatives arrived. He fled the school about 70 miles (113 kilometers) from the border town of Del Rio, the agency said in a tweet on Friday.

The crisis ended after a group of Border Patrol tactical officers entered the school at 12:45 pm, Travis Considine, a Texas public safety spokesman, said. He was involved in a firefight with a buddy in the fourth grade classroom. He was found dead shortly before 1 p.m.

At the time, officials called for backups, consultants and tactical teams while evacuating students and teachers, Escalan said.

Ken Trump, president of the consulting firm National School Safety and Security Services, said the length of the timeline raised questions.

“Based on best practices, it’s hard to understand why any kind of delays occurred, especially when you go to 40 minutes of reports and neutralize that shooter,” he said.

Many other details of the case and the response remain unclear. The motive for the massacre – the nation’s deadliest school shootings since Newtown, Connecticut nearly a decade ago – is under investigation, with Ramos having no criminal or mental health history, officials said.

During the siege, frustrated bystanders forced police officers to charge into the school, according to witnesses.

“Go there! Go there!” As soon as the attack began, the women shouted at the officers, 24-year-old Juan Karanja, who watched the scene from outside the house on the street.

Karanja said the authorities had to enter the school sooner: “There were more of them. There was only one of them. “

Border Patrol Chief Raul Ortiz has repeatedly said he did not give a timeline but was distracted by his agency’s tactical officers who arrived at the school. He hurried to enter the building, shield-holding agents lined up in a “stack” behind him, he said.

“What we wanted to do was act quickly, act quickly and do exactly what those agents did,” Ortiz told Fox News.

But once a law enforcement officer was in the building, agents said they had trouble getting through the classroom door and had to get staff to open the room with the key. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.

Lieutenant Christopher Olivarez, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, told CNN that investigators are trying to establish whether the classroom is actually locked or in some way barricaded.

When they arrived, Kazarez said he saw two officers outside the school and about five other officers escorting students from the building. But he said it took about 15 or 20 minutes before officers arrived with shields equipped to deal with the gunman.

As more parents were attending school, Kazarez said he and others urged police to act. He heard about four gunshots before ordering him and others to return to the parking lot.

“A lot of us were arguing with the police saying, ‘You all have to get there. You all have to do your thing.’ His response was, ‘We can’t do our jobs because you’re interfering,’ “Cajares said.

As for an armed school official, he was driving nearby but was not on campus when Ramos crashed his truck, a law enforcement official said, speaking on condition of anonymity and anonymity.

Investigators concluded that the school was not between the school and Ramos, who was unable to confront the shooter before he entered the building, a law enforcement official said.

Michael Dorn, executive director of Safe Havens International, which works to make schools safer, warned that it is difficult to get a clear picture of the facts soon after the shooting.

“The information we have a couple weeks after the event is usually different from the information we receive on the first day or two. And it’s usually not accurate enough, “Dorn said. For tragic events,” you usually have eight to 12 months before you have a really decent picture. “

Leave a Comment