Matteo Berrettini pulls out of Wimbledon after testing positive for Covid-19 | Tennis News

Eighth seed Matteo Berettini, who was runner-up at last year’s Wimbledon Championships, withdrew from the 2022 version of Tuesday’s tournament after testing positive for Kovid-19, he said on Instagram. Italian Wimbledon became the second player to withdraw from 2022 due to a coronavirus after Croatia’s Marin Cilic on Monday.

“I am heartbroken to announce that I have to back off from @wimbledon because of the positive COVID-19 test result.

“I have had flu symptoms and been isolated for the past few days. Even though the symptoms are not severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow contestants and everyone involved in the tournament.

View: Andy Murray transcribes Nick Kyrgios’ serve for ‘Funky Point’ at Wimbledon

“I have no words to describe the intense frustration I am experiencing. The dream is over this year, but I will be strong again. Thanks for the support,” he said on Instagram.

Berettini was set to play his inaugural Wimbledon 2022 match against Christian Garin on Tuesday. The Italian player has been replaced by the lucky loser Elias Yemer.

Berettini was one of the title favorites at the tournament, where he led a nine-game winning streak, including back-to-back title wins on grass – at Stuttgart and Queens.

Close Story

Leave a Comment