Jahangirpuri communal violence: 29-year-old accused arrested | Latest News India

More than two dozen accused have been arrested so far in the Jahangirpuri communal riots case since April.

The Delhi Police arrested a 29-year-old accused in connection with the communal clashes that broke out during a religious procession in northwest Delhi’s Jahangirpuri in April.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Wichita Veer said that before his arrest on Tuesday, there was a tip-off about Sanwar Malik’s presence in Jahangirpuri. “Our informant told us that if he is not arrested this time, he will flee to his native place in West Bengal. Malik was working as a scrap dealer in Jahangirpuri…” he said.

Malik and other co-accused, who have been declared as proclaimed offenders, incited the public and pelted stones and bottles on the procession and the police were deployed there, Veer added. He said that the Delhi Police has announced a reward of Rs 25,000 for information leading to Malik’s arrest.

When a police team tried to arrest Malik, he initially managed to run away, Veer said. “Finally our team nabbed him. Locals tried to help the accused and threw bricks at the raiding team. But even after being injured, the police team managed to subdue him and arrest him. A separate case has been registered against Malik and unidentified persons for helping the accused to escape,” Veer said.

Malik, a school dropout, was first arrested in 2016 in a case of attempted murder along with his brother, Veer said. Later he started criminal activities in Delhi. He is facing six criminal cases…”

More than two dozen accused have been arrested in Jahangirpuri communal riots case so far.

Close story

Leave a Comment