Indian team should consider boycotting CWG for dropping shooting: Manu Bhaker

Pistol champion Manu Bhakkar said on Monday the Indian team should consider a boycott of the Commonwealth Games in protest of the shooting drop from the list.

In a major shake-up for India, shooting, wrestling and archery were dropped from the 2026 provisional sports list for the Commonwealth Games in Australia.

The shooting, which India has been doing well since the 2002 edition in Manchester, will also not be part of the upcoming 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.

Victoria in Australia has acquired the rights to host the 2026 edition of the Games.

“I think the Indian team should consider boycotting the Commonwealth Games to make a bold statement.
Excluding shooting is not fair. We seem to take it for granted, Bhakker told PTI.

Buy now | Our best subscription plan now has a special price

“It’s not fair. The shooting for 2022 CWG was dropped as well, but after that, there was a sense that it was a one-off, but now it looks like it isn’t,” added the CWG Youth Olympic and Gold Medalist.

The games are scheduled to take place in March 2026 across multiple cities, including Melbourne, Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat and Gippsland.

She said withdrawing from the CWG would send a strong signal.

Recently, Bhacker won three gold medals and two silver medals at the ISSF Junior World Cup in Suhl, Germany.
In the previous edition, Indian shooters won 16 medals.

In October last year, the Commonwealth Games Federation’s General Assembly approved a new “strategic roadmap” under which athletics and swimming will be the only mandatory sports for the 2026 edition.

Leave a Comment