Summer in India does not cool very quickly, it burns and dehydrates and the only solution is to drink lots of fluids. Water is the obvious solution but sometimes the taste buds need something pleasant, a problem arises when someone is on a fitness journey and wants to reduce unnecessary liquid calories.
The catch is that not every drink needs to be loaded with sugar. In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Mitten Kakaya, Fitness Coach and Founder of Mitten Says Fitness, listed two hydrating summer drinks that one can choose while reducing unnecessary liquid calories:
1. Coconut Water – A drink that takes no preparatory time (let’s hope the coconut is open!), A cool glass of coconut water will do wonders for your health in the summer and revitalize you completely. The fact that it contains electrolytes makes it even more attractive!
2. Buttermilk – A cold glass of fresh buttermilk soothes every inch of your body. Made with a naturally cooling yogurt, this drink can help with digestion issues in the summer. You can consider adding a little sugar-free to it and make a nice sweet lassi so that it still packs a punch when it comes to taste and health benefits!
Dr Amreen Sheikh, a dietitian at Mumbai Central’s Vocard Hospital, shares two homemade summer drink recipes:
1. Kokum Lemon Mix
– 200 ml of water
– 2 tbsp Kokum syrup
– 2 tbsp honey
– Ice cubes
-1/4 tsp cumin powder
– 1/4 tsp black salt
– 1 lemon
Mix it all up and enjoy the refreshing mix
2. Orange fusion
-100 ml fresh orange juice mixed with 1 freshly squeezed lemon.
– Add a pinch of black salt and some ice cubes
Dr Amrin Shaikh said, “With summer comes high temperatures, everyone is sweating and tired. Hydration is vital to maintaining good health. Excessive sweating is one of the most important drinks the body needs. Listed:
1) Buttermilk – It is a source of protein, calcium and phosphorus and is readily available to all.
2) Coconut Water – It provides the body with energy and essential minerals, vitamins and electrolytes.
3) Am Panna – Made from mango pulp, mint leaves, cumin seeds and cumin seeds that serve as a natural refrigerator, summer is the most popular drink in Maharashtra.
4) Nimbu Pani – The best drink to refresh your mind and body on a sunny day is Vitamin C.
5) Sugarcane juice A good energy drink with natural remedies to help build up plasma and body fluids and help with dehydration and drowsiness.
It is important to keep track of your diet, especially in the summer. It’s important to stay healthy and still be informed and never forget this simple summer mantra: stay refreshed, stay healthy and stay hydrated!